Black Saturday: Police confirm 22 dead in Plateau attack

The Plateau State Police Command has confirmed 22 people killed in Saturday’s attack on commuters around Rukuba Road in Jos-North local government area.

Suspected Christian militias reportedly opened fire on a convoy of Muslim faithful in the area, with 22 killed of the 90 people journeying.

The State Police Command’s spokesman, Ubah Ogaba, in a statement, said at about 08:28 am, the Plateau State Police Command received a distress call that a group of attackers suspected to be Irigwe youths, predominantly Christians, attacked a convoy of five buses conveying some Muslim faithful.

He said 22 people were killed and 14 others injured in the attack, adding that 21 people had been rescued so far. However, a local government representative was quoted as saying that 25 people are now confirmed dead.

Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong, condemned the attack, saying that the attacks on innocent citizens no matter their backgrounds, would never be tolerated in Plateau, adding that sponsors of such attacks would be dealt with to serve as a deterrent to others.

Lalong warned those bent on fomenting trouble in Plateau to desist as the government would not allow any form of lawlessness to disrupt the peace of the State.

The governor said that security agencies had been drafted to restore calm in the area and also directed to identify and arrest the perpetrators.

Lalong commiserated with the families of those affected while calling for calm and assured all law-abiding citizens of their safety as security had been beefed up around the area as well as the entire metropolis to forestall further breach of the peace.

Related news

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.