Telecomms giant, (MTN), has announced that so far, eight million subscribers have uploaded their National Identification Number, (NIN), on its platform.
In a disclosure notice sent to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), the telecomms company also said the deadline given for subscribers to update their SIM registration records with the NIN is welcome development.
It also revealed some resolutions stakeholders in the industry had with the federal government. Recall that on December 21, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, met with stakeholders and it was agreed that the deadline for the NIN update be extended. Consequently, it said a three weeks extension was given to subscribers with NIN and six weeks for those without NIN.
The company added that it has been granted NIN registration license to facilitate the enrollment, alongside other operators. “The directive means that while recharge activity and other services continue to be available, operators cannot add new subscribers,” it stated.
The federal government had last week extended the deadline to link NIN to SIM cards, to January 19, 2021. Despite the extension on the deadline for the registration of the NIN, Nigerians on Tuesday thronged the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) offices in Lagos and Abuja.
The company said it remains committed to ensuring compliance with the directive of the federal government.
