Borno abductions: Ndume demands urgent rescue, says insecurity can end in 6 months

Ndume demands urgent rescue

Senator Ali Ndume has raised fresh alarm over the abduction of more than 400 residents of Ngoshe community in Gwoza local government area of Borno State, urging swift federal intervention while insisting Nigeria can defeat insecurity within six months if decisive action is taken. The lawmaker, who represents Borno-South Senatorial District, disclosed that the victims – mostly women and children – were kidnapped last month by insurgents linked to Jama’atu Ahlis-Sunna Lidda’Awati Wal-Jihad (JAS). He said the attackers not only abducted residents but also destroyed homes and military posts during…

Read More

Nigeria debt pressure rises, as FG borrows ₦8.1tr in just 3 months

9ja rising debt profile

Nigeria’s rising debt profile came under fresh scrutiny, as the Federal Government ramped-up domestic borrowing to ₦8.1 trillion in the first quarter of 2026, marking a 7.4% increase from ₦7.5 trillion recorded in the same period last year. Data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBNM and the Debt Management Office (DMO) show that the increase was largely driven by higher issuances of FGN Bonds and Savings Bonds, even as borrowing through Treasury Bills declined. Analysts say the trend reflects persistent revenue shortfalls and weak fiscal discipline, warning that the…

Read More

US commends Tinubu’s govt. for commitment to addressing terrorism

US commends Tinubu’s govt.

The United States (U.S) has commended the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led administration for its efforts to tackle terrorism and strengthen the judicial process in the country. In a statement shared on 𝕏 yesterday, US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs, Massad Fares Boulos, acknowledged the Nigerian government’s commitment to accelerating terrorism-related trials and addressing long-standing delays in the courts. He noted that the recent conviction of 386 Islamist militants marked a significant step towards accountability and justice. He further highlighted the importance of timely and transparent legal processes in…

Read More

“Probe missing ₦2.9bn in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA” – SERAP urges Tinubu

SERAP urges Tinubu

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged President Bola Tinubu to direct the Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Dr. Bosun Tijani, to account for the “whereabouts of the alleged missing or diverted ₦2.9 billion of public funds” from the Nigerian Communications Satellite Ltd. and the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA). The organisation, in a letter dated April 11 and signed by SERAP Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare, SERAP urged him to direct the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi, (SAN), and anti-corruption agencies…

Read More

“It is your responsibility to protect lives and property” – Atiku blasts FG

Atiku blasts FG

Former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, has condemned the insurgency plaguing the nation. Speaking via a statement shared on 𝕏 yesterday, he lamented that violent attacks are a threat to Nigeria’s peace, unity and stability. Atiku denounced the “continued acts of terrorism”, saying such violence against innocent citizens “must never be allowed to define who we are as a people”. He extended condolences to victims and affected communities, while calling on authorities to intensify efforts to address the security crisis. “The foremost responsibility of any government is the protection of lives and…

Read More

Tinubu’s Govt.: “What we have now is failure” – Obasanjo warns

Obasanjo on Tinubu govt.

Former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo has delivered a scathing assessment of the administration of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, describing it as ineffective, incompetent, and a failure affecting all Nigerians. Speaking in a widely circulated video, Obasanjo stated that poor governance has made every citizen a victim, stressing that businesses and livelihoods would be significantly better under a competent and performing government. “When you have an ineffective and incompetent government, we are all victims… Those of your business would be better today if they had a competent and effective and performing government”.…

Read More

“Act now, Nigeria on the brink” – Yiaga Africa, CISLAC, 49 others to Tinubu

CSOs, Yiaga to Asiwaju

Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), numbering 52 have raised the alarm that Nigeria is on the brink of collapse, urging the President Bola Tinubu-led administration to improve on the quality of governance. The CSOs, in a joint statement released on Tuesday, called for urgent and responsible leadership as well as collective action to save the nation from escalating insecurity, rising poverty and moral decay in public life. The CSOs are Yiaga Africa, Action Aid, Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD), Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC), Centre for Information Technology and…

Read More

Jos killings: “Govt. officials sponsoring terrorism” – U.S lawmaker alleges

US lawmaker alleges

A senior United States lawmaker, Senator Ted Cruz, has disclosed that the US Government is tracking many unnamed Nigerian government officials whom he accused of sponsoring terrorism in the country. In a message posted on his X handle recently, in response to the Palm Sunday Killings in Ungwan-Rukuba, Gari-Ya-Waye area in Jos, the US Congressman accused the Nigerian government officials of implementing policies that encourage the activities of terror groups in Nigeria. Specifically, the US Congressman mentioned that the Sharia law being implemented in Nigeria particularly in northern Nigeria has…

Read More

“Tinubu working on easing media challenges; watching events nationwide” – Info. Minister

Info Minister on Asiwaju

Minister of Information, Mohammed Idris, has said that President Bola Tinubu was putting the final touches on how to address the challenges facing the media industry in the country. The Minister said this on Sunday, at an interaction with newsmen in Lagos after a meeting with the President. He disclosed that he was in Lagos to brief Tinubu on Easter break on his invitation, Idris said: “What I can say is that Mr. President has the media industry in mind. He said: “One of the first questions he asked me…

Read More

Senate approves Tinubu’s $6bn loan request, $1bn Lagos Port rehabilitation

Senate approves loan request

…As FG deepens borrowing strategy amid fiscal pressures The 10th Senate has approved President Bola Tinubu’s request to secure external loans amounting to $6 billion, a move that underscores the Federal Government’s increasing reliance on foreign financing to sustain public spending, infrastructure development and debt management. The approval was granted within three and a half hours after the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio, read the President’s request letter during plenary. The decision followed the consideration and adoption of a report presented by Senator Aliyu Wamakko (APC, Sokoto-North), who…

Read More